The First 10 Months – A New Business Adventure
I officially established Custom Publishing Solutions in January this year, with the specific goal of becoming the leader in providing automated operations to the publishing industry through the implementation and use of Applied Artificial Intelligence. To achieve this goal, I established a team to work towards launching three foundations of the business.
- The brains – An underlying AI decision platform with the ability to learn and adapt
- The data – A method to move, integrate, shape and service data
- The vehicle – Web services that deliver on our combined AI and data capability
An adventure into a new business coupled with a unique paradigm for delivery obviously comes with its challenges. My objective from the beginning has been to make sure I do the groundwork to learn and understand what a successful AI business needs to be successful and grow before taking on partnerships and investors to take the business further.
It is an ambitious undertaking and the team and I are working hard to put in place the necessary foundations so we can be in a position of rapid growth in the future.
In 2017, we maintained a commitment to applying our resources to meeting the direct needs of our clients and core product. As we nurture CPS through infancy, we are fortunate to witness some fabulous business milestones in terms of development and growth, and are rewarded with the ongoing support of key clients. This support has allowed CPS to kick some major goals in our first 10 months of business.
Some of these include:
- Delivering our DIMO bibliographic service with over 100 active users being used across Australia, NZ and UK
- Establishing a proof of concept for the 1st stage of our servicing task layer
- Established the architecture for our publishing prediction process
- Brought together a foundation delivery team
- Hosted the “Future of Publishing” forum with the Australia Publishers Association
And we are not finished this year yet, by Christmas this year we aim to hit the following four goals:
- Produced a Small Publisher version of our bibliographic service
- Put our task servicing layer into production
- Deliver a successful POC for our prediction process
2018 and Beyond
With 2017 coming to an end I now have that clear understanding of the strategic pathway required to move CPS forward and into greater success. I know what our business needs in order to deliver on the promise of AI in publishing.
The New Year has promised to bring further leaps forward as we enjoy the enviable position to scale up and provide the necessary resource into delivering on our research and partnership opportunities to meet our goals.
2018 will be an exciting year for us, we will take on further partnerships and investment and will establish a rapidly growing platform. With the clever use of Applied AI we will deliver outcomes once previously thought impossible.